The Tees Valley Line is a route DLC for Train Sim World, featuring the Tees Valley Line between Darlington and Saltburn, a length of 27 miles. The route is set in 1989 during the sectorisation of British Rail and featured with the route will be BR Class 08, Class 37, and both 2-car and 3-car Class 101.
An Introduction to Tees Valley Line[edit | edit source]
Much like many others railway built in North-East England, the Tee Valley Line shares its lineage with the Stockton and Darlington Railway and was born out of industrial advancements and the drive to increase production. The rural landscape was suited to the roaring fires of steel smelting, while the vast flatland countryside proved ideal for mass construction of both industrial buildings and expansive railway yards.
With local industry booming, along came housing to accommodate the workers, which when combined with the coastal town of Saltburn made the Tees Valley Line just as busy with passenger services. Local trains connected the residents to their place of work, as well as with Darlington on the East Coast Main Line, meanwhile longer-distance services connect to the Tees Valley Line at Middlesbrough.
Hints[edit | edit source]
Hint 1[edit | edit source]
The first hint shows a red car (A clue to the featured town of Redcar) with the number plate "SLB 1989" which many have interpreted to mean Saltburn 1989. Because of this, many people thought that the route would be Darlington to Saltburn, set in 1989, during the sectorisation of British Rail.
Route[edit | edit source]
The route covers the Tees Valley Line in the North East of England from Darlington to Saltburn via Middlesbrough and Redcar.
Set in 1989, the route is used by both passenger and freight services which served the many industries located along the route.
Locomotives[edit | edit source]
- BR Class 08 - The most common shunter locomotive used by British Rail during this period. It is featured in BR Rail "Thornaby" Blue livery to carry out shunting services in the various yards along the route.
- BR Class 37 - Featured in Railfreight sector Trainload metal livery (RailFreight Grey), the Class 37 is the principal freight locomotive featured with this route, and is still in use today on British railway lines.
- BR Class 101 - A first generation diesel-multiple-unit featured in British Rail blue and grey livery. This DMU operated local passenger services along the route but was at the end of its life on the line, soon to be replaced by Pacers and other second generation DMUs
Rolling Stock[edit | edit source]
Training[edit | edit source]
- Class 37 Introduction - Learn the basics of starting and stopping a Class 37 Diesel-Electric locomotive.
- Class 101 Introduction (TVL) - Learn the basics of starting and stopping a Class 101 Diesel Multiple Unit.
- Class 08 Introduction (TVL) - Learn the basics of starting and stopping a Class 08 Diesel-Electric shunting locomotive.
Scenarios[edit | edit source]
- Tubeliner Diversion - The latest shipment of steel product is ready to depart Lackenby. Operate the train on the first leg of its journey, as far as Darlington.
- Coal Hauler - Taking over a driver, a Class 37 is waiting at Redcar Mineral Terminal, load up HEAs and take them to Tees Yard.
- Steelworks Shunting - Pilot duty at Lackenby Steelworks. Shunt steel wagons into the correct sidings ready for mainline freight services.
- Three Becomes Two - A DMU has arrived with a failure. Shunt the failed car to repairs and send it back on it's way.
- Seaside Summer Special - Drive this summer special service to Saltburn-by-the-Sea.
Timetable Mode[edit | edit source]
The Class 08 has 6 services on the route, focusing on shunting services at Tees Yard between Thornaby and Middlesbrough.
The Class 37 has 46 services, which focus on steel trains to Lackenby and Coke trains to Redcar, where the hoppers can be unloaded.
78 passenger services are included using the Class 101. 2-car Class 101s operate services between Darlington and Middlesbrough whilst 3-car Class 101s operate services between Darlington and Saltburn.
See the full-service timetable here: Service Timetable - Tees Valley Line
Journey Mode[edit | edit source]
There are 3 chapters included with the Tees Valley Line route:
- Chapter 1 - BR Class 37 Driver - Start by taking on freight tasks using the Class 37 locomotive.
- Chapter 2 - BR Class 101 Driver - It's time to broaden your skills as you learn the Class 101 DMU and add passenger operations on the Tes Vallet to your skillset.
- Chapter 3 - BR Class 08 Driver - Shunting (moving freight wagons around a yard) is an essential part of freight operations and there's no better locomotive for the task than the Class 08.
An additional chapter can be added to the route when purchasing the BR Class 31 DLC.
Route Diagram[edit | edit source]
|British Steel Redcar||20.7|
Add-Ons[edit | edit source]
Achievements[edit | edit source]
- TVL: Metal Sector - Complete Tees Valley Line scenario 'Tubeliner Diversion'
- TVL: Look Who's Collecting - Collect all collectables on Tees Valley Line
- TVL: Tees Total - Complete all tutorials on Tees Valley Line
- CL37: Tractor Trail - Operate the Class 37 for 370 miles
- TVL: Ice Cream Sunday - Complete Tees Valley Line scenario 'Seaside Summer Special'
- TVL: Tractor Trainee - Complete the Class 37 Introduction tutorial
- TVL: Raking the Yard - Complete Tees Valley Line scenario 'Steelworks Shunting'
- TVL: Doing the Right Thing - Complete 50 Tees Valley Line services
- TVL: Beaming with Pride - Complete all scenarios on Tees Valley Line
- TVL: The Boro Master - Reach Route Level 20 on Tees Valley Line
|Tees Valley Line|
|Locomotives||BR Class 08 - BR Class 37 - BR Class 101|
|Rolling Stock||BBA Wagon - HEA Hopper|
|Locations||Darlington - Dinsdale - Teesside Airport - Allens West - Eaglescliffe - Thornaby - Middlesbrough - Cargo Fleet - South Bank - Grangetown - British Steel Redcar - Redcar Central - Redcar East - Longbeck - Marske - Saltburn|
|Training||Class 37 Introduction - Class 101 Introduction (TVL) - Class 08 Introduction (TVL)|
|Scenarios||Tubeliner Diversion - Coal Hauler - Steelworks Shunting - Three Becomes Two - Seaside Summer Special|
|Journeys||BR Class 37 Driver - BR Class 101 Driver - BR Class 08 Driver|
|DLC||BR Class 20 - BR Class 31|
|Train Sim World Routes|
|Canada||CN Oakville Subdivision|
|Germany||Rapid Transit - Ruhr Sieg Nord - Main-Spessart Bahn - Rhein-Ruhr Osten - Hauptstrecke Rhein-Ruhr - Köln Schnellfahrstrecke|
|United Kingdom||Great Western Express - West Somerset Railway - Northern Trans-Pennine - Tees Valley Line - East Coastway - Bakerloo Line|
|United States||Sand Patch Grade - NEC: New York - Long Island Rail Road - Peninsula Corridor|