The Great Western Express route is the first DLC for Train Sim World. The route covers the Great Western Main Line between London Paddington and Reading and includes the GWR Classes 43 and 166 as well as the DB Cargo Class 66.
Great Western Express became the first TSW route available for Xbox One on 9th March 2018.
Hints[edit | edit source]
Below are the hints which were supplied by Dovetail Games, as to what the route is, and what the included rolling stock would be in the run up to the announcement of the route.
Hint 1[edit | edit source]
The question mark image was speculated to represent a Great Western Railway Class 43 (HST) or Class 57 locomotive. This is due to the dark green background, similar to a Great Western Railway locomotive, and the the pictured question mark, which is of similar shape and style to the 3D logo on Great Western Railway's fleet of locomotives.
Hint 2[edit | edit source]
The second hint was speculated to represent a DB Cargo UK locomotive, popular guesses have included a Class 59, and a Class 66, which both have corrugated sides that closely resemble those pictured.
Other popular guesses included a Class 67, which was not possible due to the locomotive not having enough ribs to fully represent the pictured hint. Others also guessed it to be a picture of a CrossCountry Class 220/221 Voyager DEMU roof due to its faded Virgin Trains red colour, however, like with the Class 67, there are not enough corrugated ribs for this to be true.
Hint 3[edit | edit source]
The third hint published by Dovetail Games on 19/07/2017 depicts a Great Western Railway Class 166. It also revealed that the route would be announced on 20/07/2017, the day after this third hint was published.
Route[edit | edit source]
The Great Western Express route covers the Great Western Main Line from London Paddington station to Reading, a distance of 36 miles. It is set in 2015, when the survey for the route was undertaken, prior to the electrification of the Great Western Main Line beyond Maidenhead. Both InterCity and commuter trains are operated by Great Western Railway along the route with freight services being operated by DB Cargo UK, formerly known as DB Schenker or EWS. Unloading facilities for HKA Hoppers are located at Hayes & Harlington as well as at Acton.
Locomotives[edit | edit source]
- BR Class 43 HST - The BR Class 43 'High Speed Train' is the principal InterCity locomotive in the UK operated on all major routes. It is featured in the Great Western Railway livery and operates the non-stop trains between Paddington and Reading.
- BR Class 66 - The BR Class 66, also known as the 'shed' is the principal freight locomotive in the UK. In Great Western Express, it is featured in both DB Cargo and EWS liveries, the EWS livery having been added in a later update.
- BR Class 166 - The BR Class 166 is a commuter diesel multiple unit operated in the Thames Valley region of the UK by Great Western Railway. It is featured in GWR livery and operates both all-stopping services and limited stop services which continue beyond Reading.
Wagons and Coaching Stock[edit | edit source]
- British Railways Mark 3 - Type of carriage used in the High Speed Train consist with the Class 43 locomotive.
- FKA Container Flat - A goods wagon for carrying containers.
- HKA Hopper - A hopper used for transporting aggregates.
Training[edit | edit source]
- Class 43 Introduction - Learn how to drive the iconic Class 43 High Speed Train.
- Class 166 Introduction - Learn how to drive a Class 166 Networker Turbo Express.
- Class 66 Introduction - Learn how to operate a Class 66 diesel freight locomotive.
- Station Stopping - Driving a Class 166, learn how to stop at stations along the Thames Valley.
Scenarios[edit | edit source]
- Down the Line - Choose from the three trains that are ready to depart for their journeys along the Thames Valley. Each one provides an all stops commuter service along the busy Great Western Mainline.
- West World - You're scheduled to drive a high speed service out of London to the West Country, but first you must get there. Catch a service into Paddington as soon as you can. Once there, head over and get things setup ready for departure.
- Christmas Closures - It's the Christmas holidays and Network Rail have closed London Paddington as part of the Crossrail construction program. Trains are being turned back at Ealing Broadway.
- Aggregate Industries - Discharge a rake of hoppers at Hayes tarmac facility before working the train over to Acton Yard and preparing it for the return journey to the West Country.
- Drag Line - A HST has been taken out of service at Reading due to technical issues. With passengers disembarked, the train needs hauling back to Old Oak Common for repairs.
Timetable Mode[edit | edit source]
339 services operate over a 24 hour timetable on the Great Western Express. 97 are operated by the BR Class 43, 229 by the BR Class 166 and 13 by the BR Class 66. The timetable can be accessed here.
Journey Mode[edit | edit source]
There are 4 chapters included with the Great Western Express route:
- Chapter 1 - Commuter Driver - Start your journey on the Great Western Express by learning to drive the Class 166 DMU and getting some real experience operating communter services along the railway.
- Chapter 2 - Express Driver - After a nice introduction using the Class 166, it's time to learn the HST. Can you handle 125mph?
- Chapter 3 - Freight Driver - It's time to turn your focus to Freight, learn to drive the powerful Class 66 freight locomotive and then take on some trains.
- Chapter 4 - Mainline Driver - Having mastered all the trains on the Great Western Express, you are now a fully versatile driver taking driving turns wherever your skills are required.
Mastery[edit | edit source]
Tier 1[edit | edit source]
- Western High Speed - Beat 120mph
- DMU Learner - Complete a Tutorial
- Great Western Driver - Complete 3 Services
- Skilled on the Class 166 - Gain 5 Levels on the Class 166
Reward - Great Western Express Diorama
Tier 2[edit | edit source]
- Mastered the Great Western - Gain 10 Levels on the Route
- Mastered the HST - Gain 5 Levels on the Class 43
- Great Western Long Hauler - Drive 250 miles/400km
- Western Finisher - Complete 5 Scenarios
Reward - Great Western Express Scenery Tile (Music Festival at Reading Depot)
Route Diagram[edit | edit source]
Map[edit | edit source]
Route Table[edit | edit source]
|Old Oak Common TMD||3.25|
|Acton Main Line||4.25|
|Hayes & Harlington||11|
Achievements[edit | edit source]
- Journey Shrinker: Reach a speed of 125 mph in the HST
- Turbo Power: Reach a speed of 90 mph in the BR Class 166
- Pushing the Limits: Reach a speed of 75 mph in the BR Class 66
- Cross Country: Operate the BR Class 43 for 430 miles
- Mile Muncher: Operate the BR Class 166 for 1660 miles
- Power Hauler: Operate the BR Class 66 for 660 miles
- Peak Performance: Successfully complete all the scenarios
- Qualified Driver: Successfully complete all the introduction tutorials
Founder's Edition[edit | edit source]
It was announced on 2nd March 2018, that Great Western Express would become the first route available on Xbox One as part of the Train Sim World Founder's Edition, set for release on 9th March 2018. The route came with the same locomotives as the PC version, the BR Class 43, Class 66 & Class 166. Upon the release of 'Train Sim World' in July 2018, Founder's Edition was removed from sale.
|Great Western Express|
|Locomotives||BR Class 43 HST - BR Class 66 - BR Class 166|
|Rolling Stock||BR Mk3 - HKA Hopper - FKA Container Flat|
|Stations||London Paddington - Acton Main Line - Ealing Broadway - West Ealing - Hanwell - Southall - Hayes & Harlington - West Drayton - Iver - Langley - Slough - Burnham - Taplow - Maidenhead - Twyford - Reading|
|Other Locations||Old Oak Common TMD - Airport Junction|
|Operators||Great Western Railway - DB Cargo UK|
|Tutorials||Class 43 Introduction - Class 166 Introduction - Class 66 Introduction - Station Stopping|
|Scenarios||Down the Line - West World - Christmas Closures - Aggregate Industries - Drag Line|
|Journeys||Commuter Driver - Express Driver - Freight Driver - Mainline Driver|
|Guides||Driving the BR Class 66 - Driving the BR Class 43 - Driving the BR Class 166 - AWS, TPWS & DSD - GWE Collectibles|
|Miscellaneous||Signalling - Service Timetable|
|Train Sim World Routes|
|Canada||CN Oakville Subdivision|
|Germany||Rapid Transit - Ruhr Sieg Nord - Main-Spessart Bahn - Rhein-Ruhr Osten - Hauptstrecke Rhein-Ruhr - Köln Schnellfahrstrecke|
|United Kingdom||Great Western Express - West Somerset Railway - Northern Trans-Pennine - Tees Valley Line - East Coastway - Bakerloo Line|
|United States||Sand Patch Grade - NEC: New York - Long Island Rail Road - Peninsula Corridor|