Learn the basics of starting and stopping a Class 47 diesel-electric locomotive.
- CLIMB ABOARD: Enter the cab through the door in front indicated
- SIT IN SEAT: Sit in the Driver's seat of the locomotive
- BATTERY ISOLATION SWITCH (B.I.S.): Set the Battery Isolation Switch to CLOSED
- MASTER KEY: Set the Master Key to ON
- REVERSER: Set the Reverser to ENGINE ONLY
- ENGINE START: Press the Engine Start button
- DRIVERS BRAKE: Set the Driver's Brake to RUNNING
- BRAKE SYSTEM: Wait for the Brake System to charge...
- REVERSER: Set the Reverser to FORWARD
- FRONT HEADLIGHTS: Set the Front Headlights to ON
- PARKING BRAKE: Release the Parking Brake
- THROTTLE: Set the Throttle to ON
- REACH SPEED: Reach a speed of around 10 MPH
- THROTTLE: Set the Throttle to OFF
- DRIVERS BRAKE: Set the Driver's Brake to INITIAL APPLICATION
- STOP LOCOMOTIVE: Bring the Locomotive to a complete stop
Task Log Edit
- This is a Class 47 Diesel Electric locomotive in British Rail Green livery. This tutorial will go through the start and stop procedure. Climb aboard to get going.
- Enter the cab through the door indicated.
- When ready sit in the driver's seat.
- To get the locomotive started, set the Battery Isolation Switch to the 'Closed' position.
- To activate the control desk, set the master key into the 'On' position.
- Set the Reverser into the 'Engine Only' position.
- The locomotive is now ready to be started. Push the 'Engine Start' button on the Control Desk.
- To release the air pressure holding the wheels, set the Driver's brake to the 'Running' position.
- With the locomotive running, to get going, set the Reverser to the 'Forward' position.
- To make others aware that this locomotive is operational, switch the Headlights to on.
- Slide the Parking Brake handle into the Release position.
- Finally, to get going, set the Throttle to at least 20%
- Well done, the locomotive is on the move. To maintain a specific speed, set the throttle back to the 'Off' position.
- To bring the locomotive to a gentle stop, set the Driver's Brake to the 'Initial Application' position.
- Take this basic training and apply it to further operations and you'll do great.
- WALK AROUND: Use W, A, S & D buttons to walk around
- CLIMB ABOARD: To climb aboard, first open the cab door then use the steps
- SIT IN SEAT: Press E to sit in any available seat
- PRECISION CONTROL: Click the Right Mouse button to switch between Mouse Look and Mouse Control mode
- MASTER KEY: You can also use CTRL + W to set the Master Key
- REVERSER: You can also use W to increase the Reverser
- DRIVERS BRAKE: You can also use ; to decrease the Driver's Brake
- CAMERA VIEWS: Use keyboard numbers 1-8 to select from a range of different camera views
- SWITCH CONTROL TYPE: When in an external camera view, use the arrow keys and mouse to look around
- HEADLIGHTS: You can also use H to toggle the Headlights
- THROTTLE: You can also use A to increase the Throttle
- THROTTLE: You can also use D to decrease the Throttle
- DRIVERS BRAKE: You can also use the ' to increase the Drivers Brake
|West Somerset Railway|
|Locomotives||BR Class 09 - BR Class 47|
|Rolling Stock||BR Mk1|
|Stations||Norton Fitzwarren - Bishops Lydeard - Crowcombe Heathfield - Stogumber - Williton - Doniford Halt - Watchet - Washford - Blue Anchor - Dunster - Minehead|
|Operators||West Somerset Railway|
|Tutorials||Class 47 Introduction - Class 09 Introduction|
|Scenarios||Preparation Work - To the Beach - Minehead Shunter Part 1 - Minehead Shunter Part 2 - Land Cruise - Finishing Up|
|Miscellaneous||Service Mode Timetable|
|Journeys||West Somerset Driver|
|DLC||BR Class 33 - BR Class 52|
|Guides||21: Driving the Class 09 - 22: Driving the Class 47 - 23: Semaphore Signalling - 24: WSR Collectibles|
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.